Sunday, March 13, 2011

Employment in a Green Industry

As I, as well as many others in the class, prepare for graduation at the end of this semester, I decided I would look into what green jobs are available in Canada, how their advertised and what they involve. I came across a website (http://www.goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php) which advertises jobs that are considered green within Canada. From March 1-13, there have been 50 job postings in Ontario. This is not a considerable amount in comparison to other job searches I have done where I can achieve those results in a much smaller geographic area. The job titles range from 'Canoe trips guide' to 'gardeners'. One listing I was surprised to see was for a 'truck driver'. That was definitely a position I was not expecting to see on a Green Jobs website. The position is for a local company (within the GTA) that has made advancements for the local food market. I then thought this website is a great way to disguish themselves from the other thousands of trucking companies within our country. By this company advertising on this website for their open position, they know they would attract a unique kind of individual that wants to assist their organization in a positive way.
I know personally, at this point in my life I'm ready to be done school and to be working full-time. I will most likely take the best job, or first job that comes my way. I'm educated, however when you have to pay bills, how many people would choose to not work for a company that is not the most sustainable? I do think it is very attractive and would make me feel more fulfilled as a person to be employed with an organization that is making a positive impact on the world, but I doubt how realistic it is for me. I am going to strive to work for one of these types of organizations, and if our generation, as well as future ones, move more towards that way of thinking, soon we'll only have sustainable organizations to choose from.

By: Denise Bloomer

No comments:

Post a Comment