Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ethical Children's Books - Final Blog


Reflection on Ethical Children's Books Assignment 

It occurred to me one day while reading to my cousin that the books we choose to read to the younger generations could have such an impact on who they grow up to be, and we may not even realize it. So, over the course of the semester I have been digging back in to my childhood and recovering the long lost books that I came to love so much.
I have been writing blogs every Sunday night throughout the semester and each blog focuses on a specific children's book or fable that i have brought back from my past. My parents have told me that they tried to instill good morals on to my sister and I through reading us these books that we enjoyed so much, it was easier and more efficient then trying to sit us down and teach them to us. 
By doing these blogs I wanted to explore for myself more of what the moral or lesson in the book actually was, by doing research and exploring the books once again. 

There are so many good ethical books out there for kids that it was hard for me to pick only ten, but here is a few of the books that I covered:

The Lorax - Dr Suess
The Berenstain Bears and the In Crowd - Stan and Jan Berenstain


Me First - Ellen Ruden
Aesop's Fables - The Fox and the Goat
The Gruffalo - Julia Donaldson
and others. 


The ones that I decided to post about aren't ones that I portray as being the best morally driven books, they are just the ones that I remember making an impact on my childhood and who i grew up to be. 
While writing these blogs I tried to relate every book to a Corporate Social Responsibility aspect, making it more relevant to the course, and it was much easier then i had expected. 
When we look at big corporations, it seems like some of them have forgotten the very basic principles and morals that we were all taught as young kids, and it really is quite sad. 
The prime example of that I feel is NIKE Inc. It seems to me that Phil Knight has forgotten the golden rule, that is do on to others as you would want them to do on to you. I'm sure if Knight was in the position of a worker in one of his factories, he would not be doing what he is doing right now. Fairness and equality is something that we don't really see when it comes to the Nike corporation. 

In the end, I am happy with myself for deciding to do this sort of assignment for marks, it has brought back a lot of really good childhood memories, as well helped re-instill all of the morals and lessons that were so important to be learned as a kid, and I do not regret it. 



- Jenifer A. White

No comments:

Post a Comment