Monday, February 13, 2012

Bribery and the Mob

Throughout the years there has been many movies portraying the mob as a secret society of ruthless men, but in real life there has been little opportunity to understand the way the real mob works. This article gives a behind the curtain look at what the mob will do to operate above the law. In this article we are introduced to a former member of the Cali drug cartel named Jorge Salcedo. Jorge worked with U.S authorities to destroy the cartel in exchange for witness protection in the U.S for himself, his wife and kids (CAPO). I find it unbelievable how much money can be made in crime. According to this article the Cali cartel makes 7 billion dollars a year (CAPO). I also find it interesting the amount of powerful people who are willing to put their life in jeopardy for money. I guess because I don’t have a lot of money it doesn’t seem very important to me, but after reading this article it seems the more money you have the more you want and the more you want the blurrier the line between right and wrong can get in the pursuit of wealth. I had a hard time when reading this article because when you think of a profession such as a colonel in the air force you think; integrity, truth, and valor, you do not think; crook, cheat, or traitor. It makes me think about all the influential people who we are encouraged to trust and I ask myself what do we really know about them, and are they as trustworthy as we are encouraged to believe? How are people supposed to act when they know they are above the law? When they know that they can do anything, all they have to do is pick up a phone and they will have no repercussions for their actions. We are repulsed by their actions but, ask yourself what would you do if you know there would be no repercussions for your actions? Would continue to act like you do now or would you take full advantage? I would like to say I have enough integrity to keep on the straight and narrow but you never know.

By: Robert Truckle

http://mafiatoday.com/general-breaking-news/what-i-saw-inside-the-cali-drug-cartel/

No comments:

Post a Comment