Friday, February 17, 2012

What is a code of conduct?

http://www.nikebiz.com/crreport/content/pdf/documents/en-US/full-report.pdf

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/priv/BGFV/CodeOfConductandEthics.pdf

http://www.adidas-group.com/en/investorrelations/corporate_governance/codeofconduct/default.aspx

http://www.actrav.itcilo.org/actrav-english/telearn/global/ilo/code/reebok.htm

What exactly is a code of conduct? I have a feeling some people in this class have no idea the answer, so I am writing my final blog on just that. Above I posted 4 examples of codes of conducts from my field of study, Sporting Goods Business. So to understand a code of conduct, we must first look at the written definition which is as follows:

a set of conventional principles and expectations that are considered binding on any person who is a member of a particular group.

Of course, we can also have it so that it equates to just one person, as is the point of the project in this course. So now we analyze it.

What is a correct principle? What is a valid expectation?

For my personal code of conduct I have to ask myself a lot of questions, as should any person who is planning on making a code of conduct. Questions such as, what are my values? Who will be the people around me that I must consider when making my decisions? What are my views on ethics? What do I expect from myself?

All of these questions are hard to understand without some deep thought. The next thing that must be answered is how do you write one?

The rules must be strict, to the point, and as detailed as possible. A simple rule as "I will always act ethically" is not appropriate. It is too susceptible to other questions being asked. You must go into detail about what you view as ethical behaviour. What situations you could come across to apply your ethical behaviour.

Next you must cover all of your values. You must have a set list of values and ensure that you are willing to meet all of them no matter who or what gets in your way.

The final thing you must do is the hardest. You must stick to it. A code of conduct is useless if you never use it. If you take things situation by situation and constantly change your values and goals when different situations arise.

So the major question for people writing a code of conduct is this. Are you willing to stick to your core beliefs, even if it means hurting other people who get in your way?

By Noah Crowley

No comments:

Post a Comment