Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jack Black Code of Conduct

The following is a link to a video clip that I found helpful to see how exactly a code of conduct is used in life.
http://movieclips.com/P9gf-the-school-of-rock-movie-deweys-code-of-conduct/

I was looking around for interesting codes of conduct online for the purposes as research for my own code of conduct and stumbled upon this video. This is a clip that is from the movie "School of Rock", which is one of my personal favourite movies. I had not ever put much thought into what is going on in this scene until recently because of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) course, but this is a great example in my eyes as to the use of a code of conduct.

The clip starts with Jack Black, who plays an unemployed musician that accidentally walks into a substitute teacher role that his room-mate was supposed to be doing. He is speaking with the Principal of the school about getting his pay in cash instead of check because; unbeknownst to her, he is not the person they have on the pay roll. The principal proceeds to explain to him that she cannot do that but to go and speak to administration and they will see what they can do.

Jack's character asks when school lets out and brings up to the principal that he would like to leave early. At this point she brings up to him what their code of conduct states and that they must abide by this because they are the best school in the state, and this code helps them remain that way.

I found this interesting because it focuses on a real life example of an issue that could be brought up, and by the use of the code of conduct, they are able to make intelligent and consistent decisions. This video has helped me get a better understanding as to what I should write in my own code of conduct, based on the way that issues connect and can build off each other and that there are exceptions to rules. An example as from this clip in that Jack's character asks how he is to punish them. In the code of conduct it states that kids are not to be punished by their teacher, however; they can be punished properly by the principal in situations that require her.

I recommend everyone to view this video to get a visual understanding on how codes of conduct work in real life (even though this is technically a fictional movie, the idea is transferable).

This blog is to be used as a part of my assessment plan that is worth 5% of my total grade, I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did.

Thank you for reading,

Larry Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment